Well, I have been intentionally trying to devote more time to God's Word this year in 2011...not because I have to but truly because I want to. As I mentioned in this post, there just has been this unbelievable tug on my heart to seriously spend some time with the Lord! I love how He nudges me to be closer to Him!
Lately, though, I have slowly been convicted that, not only did the Lord want me to devote my attention to Him first and foremost, but He also wanted me to devote my time and attention to my husband. No matter how hard I try...or how hard I think I try, am I fulfilling my role as wife as I could or should be? Sometimes, I get so caught up in the easy things like making my husband's coffee in the morning and packing a lunch, sending him out the door to work with a kiss, having the house in order and supper ready upon his return....I check those off the list each day, and those are truly the easy things in my marriage....the expected. But what have I been doing above and beyond this call of homemaker in my role as wife? Have I been making my husband feel special? loved? cherished? appreciated? Have I been welcoming him home not only with a warm supper but also with a warm heart? Have I been creating an atmosphere that makes him look forward to walking through that door each night? Have I been making mountains out of mole hills about silly things or have I been willing to overlook simple faults or flaws that don't amount to much and instead look at my own? Have I been taking the time to marvel in my man as I used to? ......or....have I plain been wrapped up in my own to-do lists and lazy about this? How could I ever be lazy about loving this special man the Lord has so graciously selected for me to spend the rest of my life with? Well, I don't know, but I tell you I don't want to ever take him for granted!
I think it all hit me recently because he is leaving again in a couple of days. I pray for him and check off all the normal wife "to-do's"...but I found myself in a place of discontent in my heart with my own actions. The Lord was drawing me nearer to Him so He could teach me to be nearer to my husband. He called me closer in a few ways, but one way the Lord drew me was through the blogs of some cherished friends!! Over the past few weeks, especially, several of the blogs I read quite regularly posted something in some way having to do with marriage!! I even found myself "starring" some of them to refer to later as the message so profoundly spoke to my heart. And after not one, not two, not three, but several heartfelt posts on the subject that I encountered, I realized it was the Lord who was calling my own heart to His and to action for my husband's.
Just to share what I am speaking about in the Lord using others to draw me closer, I wanted to illustrate how so many of my blogging friends shared some great testimonies and stories about marriage. Thank you dear friends! All praise to Him! Ok, here are some links to a post or two from several dear friends that have so beautifully illustrated the importance of different facets of marriage and why it is so worth fighting for and building up. Now tell me this is all just a coincidence??
- This post and several in Tracey's series on a "Virtuous Woman" have been convicting and encouraging me right along. I also loved this reminder about being flexible and spontaneous!
- I have long been a subscriber and regular reader of Nancy Leigh DeMoss's "Revive Our Hearts" ministry...and wouldn't you know that just recently she has zoomed in on wives loving husbands?
- Melissa has been a special blessing this past year online and offline, and the Lord used her recent post to speak straight to my heart! I love her bold yet gentle way of speaking the truth in love.
- I've read Mrs. Julie Fink's blog for a few years now, and she is a powerful and dynamic writer on many subjects important to God's calling for women. Most recently, however, she wrote some posts here and here that I knew the Lord placed in front of my eyes for a reason!
- Carrie is a very special blogging friend, probably the blogging friend I've had the longest, and her posts are always such a blessing and challenge to me. I bookmarked this series of posts in my mind which the Lord brought to remembrance recently, and the creativity she has posted about both here and here in her relationship with her husband continues to inspire me!
- Heather is a sweetheart and fellow military wife and homeschooling mother and recently posted this just when I needed to hear it!
- Sharon is a dear blogging friend the Lord crossed my path with recently, and wouldn't you know she wrote a post that nudged me to talk with the Lord about what was on my heart?
- I was introduced to Sherry's wonderful blog this past year and we have a lot in common. Wouldn't you know that over the past month she wrote this and this which encouraged me so much?
- I just love Connie's blog. She always writes such challenging posts that leave so much to ponder and always cause me to evaluate my relationship with the Lord. Just this past week, she wrote this post that sent the message ringing loud and clear to my heart!
- Sweet Monica always speaks from her heart about topics that are so important in the home. Her latest series on "To See Like My Savior" has been hitting right to the core of me, but it was this post that pushed me to evaluate not only my role as mother but as wife and how much I was truly giving my family.
So after taking in all of those convicting posts one after another that were just placed in front of my eyes because I read them regularly, is there any question that I should be evaluating my role as wife? Wow! Titus 2:4 states "that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children." Thank you dear friends for doing just that! Is there any question why I am so fond of blogging?? :-)
The Lord is so good and so very creative!! I have truly had my eyes opened to His creativity this year...in using others to draw me closer...in orchestrating events to be a special blessing or a wake-up call...in just speaking to my heart like only the Creator of a creative universe could!
I wanted to share this so I could look back on this time when I felt like I was stagnating in my role as wife as a reminder to never let myself get there again and to remember how (and Who) got me out of it, and I also wanted to thank those friends whose words were used in speaking to my heart on this issue. That is just one thing I love about blogging. I have found a community of friends who love the Lord with all their hearts and share them often and frequently they encourage and convict me! The Lord knows I will be reading! :)
I also wanted to share this to encourage anyone out there that may find herself in such a position as I did. So if you are feeling that way, I urge you first and foremost to bring your burdens to the Lord. He is ready and willing and most likely calling you to listen! =) As you draw closer to the Lord, may He draw you closer to those around you! ♥
"But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God." ~Psalm 31:14