Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Prayer & A Project

We were in need of a new dining table. We are very fond of the dear table we've had since the beginning of our marriage. However, the Lord has added three little ones to our family since our beginning, and mealtimes and school projects were getting a little crowded. Whenever we have company over, we usually have to pull out an additional table to accommodate. 

We pray about purchases like this. We want to be good stewards of the funds God has given us to manage. My husband had been praying about a solution and possible purchase if it was the Lord's will to direct us to a new set. The Lord helped us find a bargain on craigslist! Better yet, the family we bought this set from even helped deliver it to our home and carry in all the heavy stuff. Bonus! 

This set is a warm oak color that matches a lot of the items in our home that we own already ~ especially the nice pieces my Uncle Jim has handcrafted for us over the years. We were wondering what the catch was. There are a few nicks and scratches in the tables and chairs, but then we saw the seat cushions. 

The cushions were pretty stained. I guess these chairs are 20 years old. We've never owned dining chairs with cushions before. Did that scare us off from this bargain? No way! What a perfect opportunity for my husband us to take on a new project!!!  Have I ever mentioned that my husband can fix anything? Well, he can. He took this project on with a running start. 

I had questioned him before we began about changing these out. After all, we do have three young children, and spills are not an uncommon occurrence around here. That's the beauty of our former wooden-seated chairs. They wash right up. I was concerned that we would re-upholster all these chairs with beautiful fabric, and within a few meals time, they would have all new stains on them. 

My hubby knew just what to do. He said, 'We could use naugahyde!"  I said, "We could use what-a-hide?"  I had never heard of naugahyde!  It's a faux leather product that washes up real nice and is often used in restaurant booth seating. My hubby happened to know a little something about this because he actually had repaired similar projects like this at a restaurant he used to manage. {Isn't it neat how the Lord helped him to learn a random skill at a job in his younger days to help us years later at home as a hubby/father/fix-it/repair guy? Just thought that was neat. God has it all planned out!}

Well, we have a discount decorating outlet just down the road. My hubby stopped there and brought home samples of this mysterious naugahyde material. I had thought we were going to go with something neutral, but he also brought home samples of a dark brown, a green, and a couple of nautical blues. I love blue. I have blue all over the house. If there is an accent for a room, blue ought to do it. We have blue on our dishes, blue knickknacks, blue as mattes from frames, etc. When I saw the blue, it was an easy decision. Now, if we ever move back to our home in Wisconsin, these chairs will match our blue countertops. =)

Anyway, without any further background information, here is what one of the chairs looked like as we purchased it:


My hubby got to work. He removed the old seat cushion.


He removed all the staples, the old fabric, and the old foam.


Here's the old foam and the tools he used to remove all the fabric and staples from the wooden part of the seat.

Once he got the wooden portion completely free of fabric and staples, he filled in the holes with wood filler. Now begins the renovation.


He purchased some new 2-inch thick foam at Joann's for 60% off ~ score! He laid the wooden seat on the new foam and traced it with a Sharpie slightly larger than the actual seat.


Don't have a foam knife? The perfect tool for this job is an electric turkey carving knife just like the one we inherited from my grandfather. Worked like a charm!




Next, it was time to trim the naugahyde material that we purchased. It was in one big sheet ~ 3 square yards of it. We have six chairs. My hubby put the material face down on our counter with his T-square on top, and he held the Sharpie at 27 1/2 inches, while I stood on the opposite side of the counter and pushed the T-square toward him bit by bit, until we had marked the entire piece of material. Then he further traced out the six squares for the six chairs.



He trimmed out the first portion of naugahyde for this seat with a regular scissors. Edges don't need to be perfect because they are just going to get stapled underneath.


To make the naugahyde more flexible and stretchy, he used my lovely Revlon hair dryer to warm up the material.


He sprayed some adhesive onto the wooden seat and adhered it to the foam cut-out.



He then centered the foam on top of the cut-out of naugahyde and began to staple it on the underside carefully with the staple gun.



He used the hair dryer a couple more times as he was stapling to make sure it was a taught stretch.


Once he finished stapling, he used a box cutter to trim the excess material.


Lastly, we decided to put on some upholstery cord to fill in the gap where the former piping was sitting. (Naugahyde? Upholstery cord? This is all new to me!) Instead of using staples, we purchased a glue that adheres fabric to wood from Hobby Lobby. Hubby glued it right to the rim of the seat where the newly upholstered cushion would sit.



Then he attached the new seat back onto the chair, and this was the result...


One down....FIVE more to go!  Go hubby go!  I'd like to say I was more help in this project, but I was mostly his assistant and cheerleader. So thankful for my skilled artisan of a hubby.  So thankful for the Lord's provision!

Are you tackling any do-it-yourself projects?

"Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"   ~Psalm 107:21

10 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Great job! We recently purchased a new-to-us dining room table and 6 chairs off Craigslist! We'd looked for a while and bought the set from the nicest Christian family. We had a little table too and it is so nice to have enough space at the table that the littles can't reach everything--LOL!!!

Praising God for his provision for your family!

thehomespunheart said...

Oooh! You know how I love a good fix-er-upper project! :) Those turned out great and I love that I can picture the kitchen and dining room where all of this was taking place. Speaking of kitchen, I wish I was there chatting at your counter with you right now! :)

Wendi said...

A handy husband is such a blessing! The chairs look fantastic. I love a good DIY project! If I remember right I think your old table was like my old table. I loved it but like you it wasn't big enough. I am gathering the nerve to put a new top on my kitchen table (also from craigslist!) and paint the bottom and chairs.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Tracey said...

Wow, Katie - that turned out fantastic!! What a blessing that your husband was able to tackle this project for your home. Can't imagine how much money y'all were able to save by taking the DIY approach. I know you'll enjoy these chairs for a long time!

Chelle said...

Your chair looks nice. I am glad you were able to get your table.

Melanie said...

What a great job you and your husband did on the chairs. I'm sure they'll last a long time, and cleanup will be no problem. So nice to have a handy husband.
Mine is pretty handy too. Living on a pastor's salary, we have learned to be pretty resourceful and creative! It's so wonderful how the Lord always provides.
Hope you have a great week! :-)

Amber said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a handy hubby? I know I really appreciate the handyman my husband is. He can usually figure out how to do anything that needs done around the house! It's such a blessing (and moneysaver!)

Jodi said...

Love it! Do you remember my dark wood table? I picked it up from a rummage sale for 50 bucks and re-upholstered 6 chairs with a similar product - just red! :) I also love the new China Cabinet I saw in the picture, very pretty!

Miss you!

*carrie* said...

Way to go, D! Very nice chairs.

Theresa said...

That's awesome! Handy husbands are such a blessing! Great job!