Saturday, June 8, 2013

Garden Update

Greetings!

I can't believe I haven't found anytime to post for so long, but I just had to journal a bit of our gardening progress. My handsome and handy hubby built me a  5' x 10' raised garden bed in April, and I couldn't be more thrilled! We would love to have a much larger-scale garden, but until the Lord wants us to live on a homestead, we are content with using our space as best we can. :-) We figure we could add a few more of these, but we wanted to start out and see how just one goes first.


My hubby found a supplier with a special mix of compost/soil and filled it up. Then he marked each board off at each foot, and we tied on pink string to make square foot sections.


I had an idea of a few things I wanted to plant, so I quickly drew up a 50 square grid and started penciling different plants in. My Uncle Jim warned us that certain plants didn't like to be planted next to one another, and I was very grateful he told us that. So, I did a little bit of research and think we came up with a nice plan. I started planting lettuce, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and canteloupe according to the grid one by one. I also planted a few herbs ~ basil, cilantro, oregano, and rosemary. Fun! We used nursery plants this time around. We had a lot going on during the early spring months and didn't have time to start germinating any seeds. Lord willing, next year, with the help of all your generous advice, we just might be able to do that. Here is what the garden looked like freshly planted.

A few days after we planted this, we had to go north for a couple of weeks. We asked our kind neighbors to keep an eye on the garden for us and to water it when necessary. Upon our arrival home, we learned from our neighbors that we had so much rain while we were away, that the good Lord above watered it all that it needed! We were so pleased to find very few weeds, no pests, and the plants looked like this:

We've been checking the garden everyday and watering it well. Just this morning, I snapped a couple of photos of its growth:

A view from the opposite end:

There are a few plants that are hard to see from these views.  Here are some close-ups. Each plant is so unique and beautiful!








I'm so thankful for a handy and creative hubby. I'm so thankful for my thoughtful parents who gave me some birthday money. I decided to use it for this garden. With the combination of his talent and skills and their generosity, Lord willing, this is a gift that will keep giving and giving!

Even though I haven't had time to blog much lately, I try to check in on friends. For some true gardening inspiration, check out: 

Anyone else been planting anything? Anyone part of any local co-ops?

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."  ~Genesis 1:29

8 comments:

*carrie* said...

So exciting, Katie! We've actually had so much rain that some of our plants aren't faring the best. We'll see how the season goes . . .

Thanks for checking in!

Theresa said...

Katie, I love your square foot garden plot!! We didn't plant one this year because of all the home construction we are doing. I don't like to garden on a big scale (for canning) but we do enjoy the fresh garden foods through the summer/fall.

Chelle said...

Your garden looks so nice. You have done a really good job. I hope to do this if we stay where we are. I love gardens.

Mary Ann said...

It looks great! Mine isn't nearly so pretty and organized but is growing very well.:-) Just got a lot of weeding done yesterday; we had been away every Sat. for about a month so I hadn't had much time to get out to the garden and it was looking like a jungle. Hopefully I'll get some pics soon!

I just pulled out the lettuce as it had started to bolt with the hot weather. Green beans are flowering and both zucchini and cucumbers have flowers and small fruit on them. So exciting!

Currently we're eating the last of the lettuce, green onions and basil!

Tracey said...

Wow - your garden looks great!! I've wanted to try a raised bed garden, so maybe seeing yours grow will inspire me to actually do it next year! :)

theshepherdshouse said...

Oh, Katie...your garden is beautiful! Praise the Lord for such good growth. Happy 1st day of summer tomorrow!

Blessings,
Sharon

Katie said...

Hi Sharon ~ a blessing to hear from you! Thanks for the kind words. The garden looks a bit "jungle-ish" right now. Praising God for continued growth!

Happy summer to you as well!

Blessings, Katie

Eva Girl said...

This is gardening perfection! Brava!