Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Growing Hearts: Fruit in Season



Two divine appointments occurred yesterday that blessed my heart as a mother and as a follower of Christ. I just want to take a moment to document them here. Just when my mama heart was growing a bit weary, the Lord gave me a glimpse of His working in my children's lives and once again reminded me that He is so faithful, so completely trustworthy, and so deserving of all praise for any breakthroughs in child rearing. Sometimes, I feel like a broken record in our home. I like to call it consistency, but I know my flesh sometimes turns it into moments of nagging and discouragement rather than teachable moments filled with encouragement. I was reminded yesterday that just as I take opportunities to encourage my children, our Heavenly Father makes opportunities to encourage His children as well. What an amazing, loving God we serve!

Appointment #1: We received a knock on the door right after breakfast time. It was a person of a different faith handing out invitations to come to an event they were hosting. I politely thanked the person for taking the time to stop but immediately let them know that I am a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. She pointed out to me that this event is Bible-based, and they just would like us to come and visit. As 1 John Chapter 4 and 2 John instructs us to do in such situations, I then simply asked, "Who do you believe Jesus Christ is?" She replied that He is the Son of God. I agreed with her, and then further asked,  "Do you also believe He is God?" She replied, "No, I do not believe He is Almighty God." I confirmed for her that I wholeheartedly believe that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, and I encouraged her to study the Scriptures concerning this. The lady brought up John 17:3 as support for her position on this, and right then, our 6 year old daughter walked up to the door by my side. In her hands was her stack of Bible memory verses she reviews at breakfast time. She held up a verse to show this lady, and it just happened to be John 3:17. It states, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." How timely and precious! Only a perfectly timed orchestration of the Holy Spirit! The lady then said that she just wanted to comment that she is happy to see the children learning the Bible as there are so many families out there in which this is not the case. She left our doorstep, and my heart leaped for joy that maybe, just maybe, a seed was planted in this lady's heart that would be watered after another knock. To God be the glory!

Appointment #2: Our oldest son received a call from a friend of his. We moved a little over a year ago, and he has come to play with this friend pretty often. This particular friend's family does not believe that Jesus Christ was/is the true Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament. I've heard my son witnessing to this friend on occasion, but it had been quite a while. As I was going about some tasks, out of the blue I overheard my son talking about the Lord with this friend. I don't think I could have ever put so beautifully into words what my son managed to so eloquently and easily explain to his young friend in a few statements. Again, all credit to the Holy Spirit for giving the words to speak at the appointed time. I could only hear my son's half of the conversation, but the part I remember most is when I heard him say something like this... "Have you ever heard Jesus called the Lamb of God? And you know how lambs were sacrificed in the Old Testament as an offering for the sins of the people? Well, the Bible teaches that Jesus Christ was the offering for our sins and that He is the Lamb of God, the Messiah who saves us." I was overjoyed!!! After some hard days around here dealing with less-than-desirable attitudes, this was a breakthrough moment that opened my eyes, convicted my own heart, and humbled me all over again. I thanked the Lord for this encouragement and refreshment to my heart to continue on through all days (easy or hard) and to take this responsibility as mother to its fullest potential. I haven't a moment to lose to help point these children to the Lord Jesus Christ and to help grow their hearts in love and service toward Him.

Both of these divine appointments challenged me greatly, rekindled the fire to be a bold and loving witness for our Lord Jesus Christ, and blessed my heart as an imperfect and sometimes weary mother. Any fruit of His working in our lives will come in His timing as we allow Him to work in us. How faithful is our God! It is my prayer that I will be the faithful mother God has called and equipped me to be, and that the Lord will continue to work mightily in and through our family.

Lastly, these happenings brought to remembrance how before we moved I used to have Bible tracts readily available at our front door to hand out to those who stopped by for such occasions. I'm off to create a supply for our new home!

"And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season..." ~Psalm 1:3a

Linking to...




6 comments:

The Faithful Homeschool said...

How wonderful and what a blessing! God is amazing and you have been blessed with wonderful children! (Which usually happens because of a wonderful mom!)

Chelle said...

Very touching. Thank you for sharing. God is good to us.Sometimes we just need reminders how much.

Tracey said...

What a wonderful testimony - and an encouragement to my heart as well! I need to adopt your idea of keeping tracts near the front door for when we have someone stop by as well.

Kissy said...

How beautiful! God is so great at knowing when to encourage us and what to encourage us with:)

Theresa said...

I love that you keep tracks by your door! Are they ones you purchased or made yourself? I had some people come to the door a few weeks ago but I didn't answer. I wasn't feeling good and was home alone. They left info. about some big event. I pray that the seeds you sowed will bear fruit!

*carrie* said...

Praise the Lord! Thank you for sharing with others--and with us!